Tryouts for the Top Gun VBC Winter teams will be held in November as follows:
1) Tryout Registration Form – available here: TopGunTryoutForm2023
2) $40.00 tryout fee – cash or check made payable to Top Gun VBC
3) Proof of current AAU membership. Go to www.aauvolleyball.org. Be sure to include the Top Gun VBC Club Code is W38W5D. This can be changed if you choose not to play with Top Gun VBC. Complete instructions are listed below.
4) Mask protocol – We support any athlete that chooses to wear a mask at any time before, during and/or after the tryout period. At this time, masks are not required, however this could change. Top Gun VBC will follow current local and federal recommendations and these guidelines MAY BE different than school protocols. This is for the continued health and safety of our extended families and communities. Please be sure you are willing to follow any mandated mask guidelines that may occur throughout the season before attending tryouts.
The USA Junior Player Age Definitions for the 2023 season are listed here:
18U – Athletes born on or after July 1, 2004
17U – Athletes born on or after July 1, 2005
16U – Athletes born on or after July 1, 2006
15U – Athletes born on or after July 1, 2007
14U – Athletes born on or after July 1, 2008
13U – Athletes born on or after July 1, 2009
There will be no tryout for 12U athletes. Registration forms will be available for the 12U program (athletes born on or after July 1, 2010) here starting in November.
What age should my daughter tryout for? Should I just use her age?
Current age DOES NOT always coincide with USA age divisions. The Top Gun Volleyball program and the AAU organization abide by the age definitions created by USA Volleyball. USA Volleyball and the AAU have recently changed the age cut off date to JULY 1.
Please attend the appropriate tryout for your daughter’s age classification as determined by USA Volleyball listed above, with the limited exceptions listed as follows:
What if my daughter is young, but in a higher grade?
A very small number of athletes fall under the category of being in a higher grade academically, yet qualifying for a younger age group through the USA/AAU guidelines. For example, an athlete is in 9th grade but whose birth date is listed under the 14U age group. In these situations, she will be permitted to try out with 15U age group if she chooses. Any other movement of athletes into different age groups will be made at the sole discretion of the Top Gun VBC staff. In most instances, we do not agree with athletes playing “up”. We gather athletes from many different areas and school districts onto one team, so we are able to create a challenging environment for each age level. Top Gun believes that most athletes gain the greatest growth and advantages participating with their current age level.
A current/valid AAU Membership is REQUIRED for tryout.
Top Gun VBC is a member of the AAU (Amateur Athletic Union) and follow their guidelines, rules and regulations. In order for any athlete to practice (including tryouts) with Top Gun VBC, a valid AAU membership is required. Please see below for information on how to obtain one:
If you have not registered for an AAU membership since September 1, 2022 then YES, you most likely need an updated membership. Most AAU membership are valid for one year (until August 31, 2023) but could be valid longer if you select or have previously selected a multi-year membership. This membership belongs to you and is valid for any sport offered by the AAU organization throughout the year. If you choose not to play for Top Gun VBC, this membership can be transferred to any club. If you have a membership, to be current it should end in a 3, 4 or possibly 5. If your membership number ends in a 2, it is no longer valid.
To register for an AAU Membership:
- Go to www.aauvolleyball.org
- Click on the link to “Join AAU” (Red) or LOG IN if you have an account.
- Click on “Get a Membership” (Green)
- Select “Youth Athlete Membership” (Green)
- Enter Sport (Volleyball). There is no need for an added benefit membership. All tournaments will be appropriately AAU licensed and sanctioned. Regular $14.00 membership is fine.
- Choose your desired term – one, two or three years
- Select yes to “member of a club” The Top Gun club code is W38W5D or select Top Gun VBC from the drop down menu.
- Enter personal information as requested. Parent email is recommended. Options of Be Recruited involvement, t-shirt order or establishing an account is optional.
- Enter billing information and opt for view and print. You may also print from the email that the AAU will send you. This AAU ‘card’ with the membership number listed should be sent with your athlete to tryouts as well as entering this number on the registration form.
Questions? Contact Jen at email@example.com or (517) 548-0024.