Top Gun VBC is aware that there are now many different responses to the Covid-19 virus that is still close by and in our communities. The health of all participants remains our number one priority, and Top Gun believes that while we still need to be cautious, it will not stop us! Top Gun will move forward with continued Covid-19 safety protocols in place. This includes mandatory masks at all times inside the facility, one-way traffic flow, hand sanitization prior to gym entry, health questionnaire for each athlete prior to every session, clean volleyballs for each group, and frequent disinfecting of all equipment. Please confirm that you will support these guidelines now and throughout the year prior to your decision to attend tryouts. Top Gun VBC is making plans for the best season ever in 2022!
Tryouts for the Top Gun VBC 2022 Winter teams will be as follows:
13U Tryouts will be held Thursday, November 4 and Friday, November 5: 6:00 – 8:00pm
14U Tryouts will be held Thursday, November 4 and Friday, November 5: 8:00 – 10:00pm
Registration / Check-in begins ½ hour prior to tryout start time.
15U Tryouts will be Monday, November 8 and Tuesday, November 9: 6:00 – 8:00pm
16U/17/U/18U Tryouts will be held Monday, November 8 and Tuesday, November 9: 8:00 – 10:00pm
Registration / Check-in will begin ½ hour prior to tryout start time.
ALL tryouts will be held at Scranton Middle School, 8415 Maltby Rd., Brighton, MI 48116
Needed for tryouts;
1) Tryout Registration Form – available here: TopGunTryoutForm2022
2) $40.00 tryout fee – cash or check made payable to Top Gun VBC
3) Proof of current AAU membership. Go to www.aauvolleyball.org. The Top Gun Club Code is W34DE4. Complete instructions are listed below.
4) Mask – Every person – vaccinated or not – will be required to wear a mask covering their mouth and nose at all times while inside the facility including before, during and after the tryout period. This is for the health and safety of those who cannot yet obtain a vaccine as well as our extended families and communities. Let’s be safe.
The tryout fee covers both days and all athletes are encouraged to attend both days of tryouts. If an athlete can attend one day of tryouts only, she will be evaluated on that day alone.
The USA Junior Player Age Definitions for the 2022 season are listed here.
18U – Athletes born on or after July 1, 2003
17U – Athletes born on or after July 1, 2004
16U – Athletes born on or after July 1, 2005
15U – Athletes born on or after July 1, 2006
14U – Athletes born on or after July 1, 2007
13U – Athletes born on or after July 1, 2008
There will be no tryout for 12U athletes. Registration forms will be available for the 12U program (athletes born on or after July 1, 2009) here starting November 14, 2021.
What age should my daughter tryout for? Should I just use her age?
Current age DOES NOT always coincide with USA age divisions. The Top Gun Volleyball program and the AAU organization abide by the age definitions created by USA Volleyball. USA Volleyball and the AAU have changed the age cut off date to JULY 1.
Please attend the appropriate tryout for your daughter’s age classification as determined by USA Volleyball listed above, with the limited exceptions listed as follows:
What if my daughter is young, but in a higher grade?
A very small number of athletes fall under the category of being in a higher grade academically, yet qualifying for a younger age group. For example, an athlete attends 9th grade but falls under the 14U age group. In these situations, she will be permitted to try out with 15U age group, if she chooses. Any other movement of athletes into different age groups will be performed solely at the discretion of the Top Gun VBC staff. Requests will not be considered. Because we gather athletes from many different areas and school districts onto one team, we are able to create a challenging environment for each age level. Top Gun believes that most athletes gain the greatest growth and advantages participating with their current age level.
A current AAU membership is required to tryout.
Top Gun VBC is a member of the AAU (Amateur Athletic Union) and follow their guidelines, rules and regulations. In order fro any athlete to practice (including tryout) with Top Gun VBC, a valid AAU membership is required. Please see below to purchase one.
If you have not registered for an AAU membership after September 1, 2021 then YES, you need one.
An AAU membership is valid for one year (until August 31, 2022) or longer if you select a multi-year membership. This membership belongs to you and is valid for any sport offered by the AAU organization throughout the year. If you choose not to play for Top Gun VBC, this membership can be transferred to any club.
To register for an AAU membership:
1) Go to www.aauvolleyball.org
2) Click on link to ‘Join AAU’. (Red)
3) Click on ‘Get a Membership’ (Green)
4) Select ‘Youth Athlete Membership’ (Green)
5) Enter Sport: Volleyball
Coverage: Regular $14 is fine. All activities will be licensed.
Term: Your choice – one, two or three years
Member of a Club? The Top Gun club code is W34DE4 or scroll down menu to (MICHIGAN) TOP GUN VBC.
6) Enter personal information as requested. Parent email is recommended.
7) Be Recruited question – this is optional – entirely up to you, they will send you emails, etc.
8) Agree to terms, add name
10) Choose to buy a t-shirt or click here to ‘checkout’
11) You do not need to create an account, but the option is yours
12) Enter billing information
13) Opt for view and print. You may also print from email that the AAU will send you. Send this AAU ‘card’ with membership number listed in with your registration or enter this AAU membership number on the registration form.
Questions? Contact Jen at firstname.lastname@example.org or the AAU membership personnel.