To Pre-register: Email name, grade, school and position(s) played to email@example.com a minimum of 24 hours prior to tryout.
Needed for tryouts;
1) Tryout Registration Form –
2) $40.00 tryout fee, if pre-registered; $50.00 at the door – cash or check made payable to Top Gun VBC
3) Proof of current AAU membership. Go to www.aauvolleyball.org. The Top Gun Club Code is W34DE4. Complete instructions are listed below.
4) Mask protocol – We recommend that all athletes – vaccinated or not – wear a mask covering their mouth and nose at all times while inside the facility including before, during and after the tryout period. This is for the health and safety of those who cannot yet obtain a vaccine as well as our extended families and communities. Let’s be safe.
The USA Junior Player Age Definitions for the 2023 season are listed here.
18U – Athletes born on or after July 1, 2004
17U – Athletes born on or after July 1, 2005
16U – Athletes born on or after July 1, 2006
15U – Athletes born on or after July 1, 2007
14U – Athletes born on or after July 1, 2008
13U – Athletes born on or after July 1, 2009
There will be no tryout for 12U athletes. Registration forms will be available for the 12U program (athletes born on or after July 1, 2010) here starting in February.
What age should my daughter tryout for? Should I just use her age?
Current age DOES NOT always coincide with USA age divisions. The Top Gun Volleyball program and the AAU organization abide by the age definitions created by USA Volleyball. USA Volleyball and the AAU have changed the age cut off date to JULY 1.
Please attend the appropriate tryout for your daughter’s age classification as determined by USA Volleyball listed above, with the limited exceptions listed as follows:
What if my daughter is young, but in a higher grade?
A very small number of athletes fall under the category of being in a higher grade academically, yet qualifying for a younger age group. For example, an athlete attends 9th grade but falls under the 14U age group. In these situations, she will be permitted to try out with 15U age group, if she chooses. Any other movement of athletes into different age groups will be performed solely at the discretion of the Top Gun VBC staff. Requests will not be considered. Because we gather athletes from many different areas and school districts onto one team, we are able to create a challenging environment for each age level. Top Gun believes that most athletes gain the greatest growth and advantages participating with their current age level.
A current AAU membership is required to tryout.
Top Gun VBC is a member of the AAU (Amateur Athletic Union) and follow their guidelines, rules and regulations. In order fro any athlete to practice (including tryout) with Top Gun VBC, a valid AAU membership is required. Please see below to purchase one.
If you have not registered for an AAU membership after September 1, 2021 then YES, you need one.
An AAU membership is valid for one year (until August 31, 2022) or longer if you select a multi-year membership. This membership belongs to you and is valid for any sport offered by the AAU organization throughout the year. If you choose not to play for Top Gun VBC, this membership can be transferred to any club.
To register for an AAU membership:
1) Go to www.aauvolleyball.org
2) Click on link to ‘Join AAU’. (Red)
3) Click on ‘Get a Membership’ (Green)
4) Select ‘Youth Athlete Membership’ (Green)
5) Enter Sport: Volleyball
Coverage: Regular $14 is fine. All activities will be licensed.
Term: Your choice – one, two or three years
Member of a Club? The Top Gun club code is W34DE4 or scroll down menu to (MICHIGAN) TOP GUN VBC.
6) Enter personal information as requested. Parent email is recommended.
7) Be Recruited question – this is optional – entirely up to you, they will send you emails, etc.
8) Agree to terms, add name
10) Choose to buy a t-shirt or click here to ‘checkout’
11) You do not need to create an account, but the option is yours
12) Enter billing information
13) Opt for view and print. You may also print from email that the AAU will send you. Send this AAU ‘card’ with membership number listed in with your registration or enter this AAU membership number on the registration form.
Questions? Contact Jen at firstname.lastname@example.org or the AAU membership personnel.